8.16.2014

Get Their Look - Alexa Chung

As you may or may not know Alexa Chung is a favourite fashion icon of mine! If you have never heard of Alexa Chung (shock, horror), she's a model, writer, fashion icon and presenter, well what hasn't she done really(Oh she also once dated Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys). I've loved her style for years now mainly due to the mixture of cool tomboy and effortless femininity look she achieves and her love for sixties fashion. With style inspiration coming from the likes of Jane Birkin and Françoise Hardy she couldn't go wrong! So today I thought I would do a 'how to get her look' post, showing clothes that will help give a sense of her style. The products I show below may not be the exact clothes she wears, I'm just re-creating her style from items from the high street. NOTE: Alexa Chung does where more colourful clothing than shown in this post, I just love black and white clothing too much.

1. Trench Mac @ M&S // 2. Gingham smock dress @ The Whitepepper // 3. Corduroy mini skirt @ Anna Field // 4. Vintage Levis cut off shorts @ asos marketplace // 5. Striped top @ H&M // 6. Black jeans @ Topshop // 7. Leather biker jackets @ Warehouse // 8. Dungarees @ Rokit 
With the denim cut off shorts you could team it with a band t-shirt which could also be worn with the skinnies. The dungarees can be worn with the striped top OR an oversized t-shirt and pop some converses on. A leather jacket can go with ANYTHING! I think the gingham smock dress is so cute and very Alexa. A corduroy mini skirt would look nice with a nice shirt/blouse or a cute t-shirt and cardigan. NOTE: Don't forget a trusty navy jumper for those chillier days!
 If the image on the left doesn't make you want to own a tux, I don't know what will! Oh and how dreamy is that skirt??? I don't think that my student budget will stretch quite that far.
To get one of my favourite Alexa Chung formal wear looks I'd combine the white shirt with the black velvet bow tie, the burgundy blazer and the cigarette trousers. I would pair the square neck crop top with the 3D rose skirt and some nice flats or heels on your feet. The leather mini skirt would go quite nicely with a oversized t-shirt OR a baggy blouse OR a shirt and jumper when it's a bit nippy. I'd wear the Chelsea boots in the below section with the collared dress.
                            
With converses you can wear them with denim shorts, skinny jeans and if you're like me with a skater dress. Am I the only one who likes the worn and scruffy look rather than super-squeaky clean look with Converses? Alexa has a lovely Chanel quilted bag, I found a much much more affordable quilted bag from ASOS for a similar look. The most expensive item in this whole post are the lovely Charlotte Olympia velvet kitty slippers because lets face it they're too perfect not to feature! I love the colour of the fedora, the berry colour is a nice change from a usual black colour. I have seen a few photos of Alexa wearing them with her leather jacket and black skinnies OR included in her festival wear. Why not try a pair of Superga trainers for a super laid back fun look perfect for adventures in the sun.


1. Alexa for Eyeko eye set @ Eyeko // 2. Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser @ Selfridges // 3. Lipstick shade 'Lady in Danger' @ MAC // 4. Nail polish in shade 'to buy or not to buy' @ Essie // 5. Nail polish in shade 'faint of heart @ MAC // 6. Beach matt salt spray @ Boots
To get Alexa's cat eye liner look I'd recommend getting your hands on Alexa's eye set for Eyeko. I recently read in an interview that Alexa prefers to wear a tinted moisturiser than a foundation, she uses Laura Mercier's tinted moisturiser which helps to create her natural dewy look. She has expressed a love for MAC's lipstick in the shade 'Lady In Danger' (I can't blame her it's a lovely colour), YSL lipsticks are another favourite of hers. During the interview she mentioned two nail varnish favourites; shade 'Faint Hearted' by Mac and shade 'To Buy or Not To Buy' by Essie, they are both very subtle yet flattering colours. I have included the Beach matt salt spray to help create the bed head wavy hair that Alexa has. If you want to create this look try spraying hair all over with the texturizing salt spray, twist hair into a secure bun on your head and then sleep on it OR if you're in a rush towel dry washed spritze hair with the salt spray, scrunch and leave for the wind to do it's job.

If you would like me to do a tutorial of how to get her make-up or hair look then please leave a comment if you do.

Do you have a favourite item of clothing or beauty product that I have featured in this post or any that you'd like to try?

Would you like me to do more of these 'Get Their Look' posts? please leave a comment

2 comments

Latest Instagrams

© Katie Marie. Design by Fearne.